This week is the last full week of summer vacation before L heads to school. He is starting kindergarten this year so the end of this summer is big. Here are the thirteen things I’ll miss most about summer:
- Barbeque & Beer: Summer is the time to fire up the BBQ, invite over some friends, and spend the afternoon hanging out. And if they happen to bring over some beer? Even better.
- Beach Reads: I know them as romance novels but a good portion of the population likes to refer to them as beach reads. It’s the one time a year everyone embraces the books I love the best.
- Vacation: You can’t say the word summer without thinking vacation. Sometimes I get away with my family, but most times it means my family comes to visit me. Nothing I like better than a house full of the people I love.
- Holiday Picnics: My husband is lucky enough to have most federal holidays off. On those days we are almost always at a local park for a picnic. It’s a great time for a family.
- Easy Schedule: Summer is the time when that rigid schedule from the first half of the year goes by the wayside. We can stay in our pj’s until noon if we want and no one misses anything.
- Sandals:Open toes, wedges, heels, strappy, gladiator, stiletto! You name it, I love it!
- Farmer’s Market: The produce is fresh and the people are nice. I can’t ask for much more than that.
- Ice Cream & Ice Tea: Two of the best treats of summer.
- Festivals: Arts, crafts, heritage, or holiday celebration. If there is a town festival you can be sure I’m there. These are the places where I meet most of the characters that populate my writing.
- Pool: It opens on Memorial Day and doesn’t close until Labor Day!
- Camping & Exploring: Two of my kids favorite things to do.
- Playground Playdates: A chance for my kids to catch up with their friends from school and a chance for me to sit and have some adult conversation.
- Gardening: We start in the spring and by summer the fruits of our labor are there for us to enjoy. And really even after all these years I still like to play in the dirt.
Some things I won’t be missing about summer: humidity, swim suits, and short shorts.
Have a great weekend!